Learning to learn is a key competence essential to successfully deal with the study of any matter during education but also in the adult life for the professional career development.
To be able to manage your own learning processes and assess your progress in the study helps to find motivation and renew commitment, reducing the risk of dropping out from study paths. Similarly, good communication capabilities are essential for success on the job. To prove that you "know", especially during oral examinations, exhibitions, job interviews or meetings, it is essential to know how to communicate well your knowledge.
The project "EXPLAIN" developes learning methods and tools to improve school and academic performance, through the enhancement of skills which often are underestimated or taken as granted in the world of schools and universities. The project focuses in particular on the process of learning (how to learn, assimilate and store knowledge significantly) and the effective exposure of the acquired knowledge (how you communicate effectively what has been learned). Moreover, EXPLAIN would aim tointegrate transversal competences important for independent learning and communication with the study of traditional subject matters and topics in school and VET curricula. To achieve this objective the project focuses on improving:
- LEARNING STRATEGIES of pupils and students, which means becoming an independent learner able to plan and organise learning, to search, select, analyse and synthesize information, to apply memory techniques and to self-assess own learning (learning to learn key competence).
- INFORMATION PROCESSING and TEXT STRUCTURING for improving students’ skills in selecting information and data, and preparing written or oral on topics for different disciplines (literacy key competence).
- HANDLING NUMBERS as a capability applied transversally in different knowledge branches (science, sociology, economy, linguistics etc.), such as the ability to understand, interpret and use graphs, charts and info graphics (math and digital key competence).
- PUBLIC SPEAKING in difficult situation, such as during schools examinations (in particularly secondary school leaving examinations and qualification exams for VET curricula) and work contexts where requested (job interviews, work meetings, project/service/product presentation to customers etc.) (communication key competence).
The project intends to respond to these challenges with the contribution of the strategic partnership through:
- Cooperation between actors working in education at different levels (basic, higher and university education and adult continuing education);
- The development of teaching methods and tools based on innovative ICT applications, useful both to teachers and educators for classroom use, that students and parents to support autonomous learning
- The construction of five products to promote key skills: communication in the mother tongue, mathematical competence, learning to learn, cultural awareness and expression, which will be available in six European languages
- Promoting an awareness of the key competences for learning not only among teachers, but especially among students and parents, who turn out to be the final recipients of this project.